Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Art and Beauty Tuesday--Claude Monet

Water Lilies 11 by Claude Monet is one I hadn't previously come across.  Instead of is usual greens and blues, Monet paints this using bold oranges.  It looks as though the water is on fire--definitely a departure from the calming water lily paintings many of us have come to expect.

The reflection of the sun on the water makes it look as though it is not water at all, but an exploding volcano--quite a juxtaposition of images.

It makes you think, as all good art does.

6 comments:

TACParent said...

It kind of does look like a volcanoe with clouds floating about. Interesting piece.

Btw, my ds has to do an assignment critiqueing (sp?)a piece of art for a school assignment. Could you email me the site you visit most to get these awesome pictures?

Staying in Balance said...

Done! Good luck to him!

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

I'm a Monet junkie and this is a new one for me.

Staying in Balance said...

It was new for me too.

RAnn said...

Monet is one of my favorites!

Staying in Balance said...

I love Monet!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku