Saturday, November 20, 2010

Remembrance Day 2010

 Today, dh and I attended the Remembrance Day parade here in Gettysburg.  I wish I had taken more pictures of the rows and rows of Civil War reenactors in this parade.  It is amazing how many people dedicate their lives to remembering those who fought and died here over 100 years ago.

By far the most unusual thing for me was the Civil War era hearse, drawn by 2 horses and driven by a man in a stove-pipe hat.
I wanted to make sure to get a picture of a Civil War band (one with brass instruments) and decided to make this shot sepia toned to add to the semi-authenticity of the moment.

4 comments:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

May our country never again see a war like this. Those who devote themselves to the re-enactment keep alive the memory of a sad time in our history that indeed must never be forgotten.

Staying in Balance said...

Amen!

TACParent said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day for this. I love the sepia toned picture. It was wonderful that your husband could spend the day with you.

I think the reenactors make that their life. It is obvious they really meld into their character. When I am among them I feel like I have stepped back in time.

Staying in Balance said...

It was a perfect day for a parade. I think the reenactors appreciate the cooler weather. (The ladies get to wear capes and carry muffs instead of sweating in 90 degree weather in July!)

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku