Monday, November 22, 2010

Music Monday--It is Well With my Soul

This is a special Music Monday because today is the feast day of St. Cecilia, patron saint of musicians.

This song, It is Well With my Soul, is a beautiful inspiration in times of trouble, even before you hear the background story, and this video does a great job of explaining how this song came to be written.  The accompanying pictures bring the history to the fore and let us know that the almost unbelievable story of this hymn is indeed true.

My son's high school marching band did a beautiful arrangement of this piece years ago and, ever since then, my husband sings and plays this occasionally at Mass.

Let the message of this hymn soak into your being and let God's eternal love shine in you always.

1 comment:

TACParent said...

I love the video of the waves crashing against the rocks. Your comment, "let God's eternal love shine in you always," is very pertinent. Just the other day I told my teacher, "No matter what is going on in my life, no matter how difficult, it is importantthat I keep shining the Light." It can be difficult, but even in times of trouble, I must remember to spread God's love.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku