Monday, August 23, 2010

St. Rose of Lima--August 23

Today is the feast of one of my favorite saints, Rose of Lima.

Rose was born in Lima, Peru in 1586.  She was named Isabelle but called Rose because of her beauty and rosy cheeks.  When she was 11 years old, she took the name Rose as a confirmation name.

She supported her family by her lace making and embroidery.

She dedicated herself to God early in her life and endured a decade of pressure from her parents to marry.

She was a third order Dominican and was the first American born saint.

She is the patroness of the Americas, needle workers, florists and gardeners.

2 comments:

TACParent said...

I don't think I knew she was the patron saint of needle workers. I should call on her when I'm called to create an afghan or cross stitch next.

Oh neat: Your word verification is "exile" ... seriously, I'm not making it up.

Staying in Balance said...

I don't think I knew that either. Or I hadn't remembered it.

Those word verifications are getting more and more appropriate!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku