Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Art and Beauty Tuesday

We have a new feature here at the Well: Art and Beauty Tuesday. For our first piece of art, I'm going to highlight a painting by Pierre-Auguste Renoir called The Umbrellas.

I was taken by the brightness of the blue in the umbrellas in spite of the overall darkness in the painting. The blue is repeated in the clothing of almost every figure in the painting and is a nice, almost cheery contrast to the other main color, black.

Although at first glance, it seems a gloomy picture, there is a bit of a bright (although "blue") aspect; a tiny bit of hope that, nevertheless, pervades the painting.

9 comments:

TACParent said...

There's also gold. And look at the little girl holding a wooden hoop! Nice new feature.

Staying in Balance said...

You're right! Good catch! I was thinking of it more as a tan, but I think you're right. It's gold, or maybe, yellow, which compliments the blue.

Michele said...

i really love the old fashioned look in the painting. besides, there's purple in there, and that is one of my favorite colors!

Staying in Balance said...

I like purple too.

kkollwitz said...

Renoir is always a cause for optimism.

Staying in Balance said...

Very true! I think art is in general.

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

Renoir is my favorite painter. This is a painting I have not seen before and I enjoyed it very much.

Staying in Balance said...

I'm glad I chose this one, then, Barbara!

Sweetums5 said...

I love Renoir -- and this painting is one of my favorites! It's wonderful to see how despite the surrounding gloom, there is an air of peace and calm -- much like the serenity we experience when we surrender to God's Will and trust in Him amidst suffering.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku