Saturday, August 22, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday--On Saturday



I'm sorry to be a day late with my Quick Takes.

1. Yesterday I visited my brother-in-law's synagogue for the second time. I enjoyed my visit. The Jews are, as Pope John Paul II said, "Our older brothers." My sister and I had an interesting conversation with the cantor and he and I compared cantoring jobs (mine being in the Catholic Church.)

2. Yesterday was (probably) the last time I will be able to take my mom to the dentist for this semester, because of my heavy work schedule beginning Monday. My sister will have to do this alone for a while. I have really enjoyed not only being able to take my mom to a dentist that is so close to where she lives now, but also one who is good with the elderly. Also, I have really enjoyed having my sister come with me and help mom (and the dentist!) deal with her anxieties about going. She has done really well with it, and I am realizing what I missed out on trying to do it without my sister all those years.

3. Please pray for my friend's mother in law who is back in the hospital. Pray for her husband and his brothers as they navigate this difficult road.

4. When I was in Junior High, I used to lay out in the back yard trying to get a tan. Now, I only seem to burn or freckle. I don't so much mind freckling, but I can't be outside in the hottest part of the day anymore. I have discovered the hard way, that as the sun sinks in the sky, one tends to tan rather unevenly. I now have legs that are sort of red and white...rather like a candy cane! I guess it is long past the time where I should throw away any vestiges of vanity.

5. Since our financial situation has contracted greatly, my husband is back to fixing most everything himself. He spends most evenings tinkering with one or the other of our Volkswagens, getting them working just right. The other day, he sent me out on a mission to purchase a tiny part for our riding lawn mower, and, as I was successful, he fixed that for under a dollar!

6. Speaking of sending me on a mission, it is going to be a total paradigm shift not being as available to both my mom and my husband once I go back to work. This will be the first semester in quite a while, where I will be working every weekday. It is a real blessing that I can do it, but it will take some getting used to. I will really need to put on my organizational thinking cap to better plan my time. I may even regret not having (and not liking) a Blackberry!

7. I realize all this financial uncertainty is crying out for me to lay my life at the foot of the cross and give it to God. I think that will have to be a daily, or even hourly thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, you can't fool me, Fred was late this week, too.

Financial uncertainty is such a theoretical blessing. Too bad I can't live in theory land all the time. . . .best to you finding peace.

TACParent said...

Better late than never!

1. That must have been an interesting conversation.

2. I hope the dentist went well. I'm glad your sister will be able to take your mom for future appointments.

3. Thanks for the prayers.

4. I remember burning my armpits in middle school. I laid out with baby oil (how I didn't burn my entire body I don't know) and then I think I put my arms up to try and tan the underside. Ouch!

5. I'm glad your husband knows how to fix things!

6. I will pray for a smooth transition for all of you. And, at least now you have your colorful goodl calendar to use, right?

7. "Lay down your burden, I will carry you."

Staying in Balance said...

I confess--Fred *was* late this week!! Mea culpa!

TAC--burned your armpits!?!? Ouch!!! With your coloring, I'm very glad you didn't burn your entire body! I think I'm going to have to be through with trying to tan anymore!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku