Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On Blogging, Texting and Tweeting

I've been thinking of the future of blogging in light of recent technological developments such as Facebook, texting and Twitter.

I have confessed to relying on YouTube to fill in blog posts here on the days when I am otherwise uninspired. Occasionally a video will make me think of a friend or relative on my Facebook page and I'll post it there.

I don't "tweet" (or is it "twitter"?) but the Facebook status updates serve the same purpose--to say something short, sweet, and witty to amuse my friends. I have sometimes condensed a post from here and put it on my Facebook as a status update, knowing that most of the people who see my page there do not read my blog.

So, I began to wonder what the future of blogging will be in light of this new technology. Have we run out of time to write and read blogs? Do we feel uncomfortable reading our loved ones' opinions on things religious, social or political?

Personally, I think blogging by default will be useful for going deeper into a topic and enjoying the written word in a way that can't be done in a shorter format. Although, as a haiku author, I do appreciate the beauty in brevity.

Another thing blogs can do is focus on a specific topic to the exclusion of the minutia of the author's daily life. Sometimes its not all about me (although the internet in general does tend to feed *that* temptation quite well.) The flip side of blogging is the ability to think out loud and journal on a subject of a more personal nature long enough to reach some sort of conclusion or closure.

And, of course, there is the sharing aspect of blogging. Short updates on fact that I hate mosquitoes (my latest Facebook update) don't really tell you much of anything about me and don't really express much of an opinion on anything.

Another thing I like about blogging is I am not forcing my opinion on anyone. Anyone is free to read and comment, or not. When I have my periodic urge to share with the world, I can do so and at the same time leave the world free agents to choose their level of interaction with me.

It is fascinating to watch the modern world of technological communication develop and unfold. Who knows what the future will bring?

3 comments:

TACParent said...

I don't really want a Facebook. Something about people popping up from my past wigs me out. But, then I am tempted because I'd like to keep up with friends who have accounts. For now, I rely on blogger and IM and good old-fashioned, actually speaking to each other in person or over the phone. I tend not to put stuff that's too personal on the internet at any rate. I think it is too easy for people to access it. Just my opinion. But, from the little I know about Facebook, it is a good way to keep families in touch with each other.

Staying in Balance said...

There is definitely a difference, IMO, between Facebook and blogging. Partly, I think, Facebook is more personal and at the same time, less so. Although, I think there are levels of privacy you can choose, the default is that people can read what you post and what others post to you. Its an easy way to have your various "selves" "bleed" over into each other, if that makes sense. Its a bit like having that big party where your relatives, friends, in-laws and co-workers are all in a room together!

Staying in Balance said...

At this point, I think Tweeting would be one more thing I would feel I "have" to do. But I have re-met some old friends on Facebook and keep track of family and friends through there as well.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku