Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Favorite Monument

I have a new favorite monument here in Gettysburg. This monument is for the 11th Pennsylvania infantry. My husband and I searched for and found this monument tonight during our evening VW bug ride. I first heard of its existence during a meeting of our local poetry society and knew I had to see it for myself.

The monument memorializes Sallie, a brindle bull terrier, who joined the 11th Pennsylvania regiment as a puppy and was its mascot. During the Battle of Gettysburg, Sallie became separated from the men and was later discovered to have stayed behind with the soldiers who had died on the first day of the battle.

The men nursed her back to health and she served with them for two more years, before being killed at Hatcher's Run, PA. She was buried amidst "murderous fire" and memorialized when the 11th Pennsylvania erected a monument in Gettysburg.

Today Sallie is still remembered by those who visit her monument and leave dog biscuits at the foot of her statue.

2 comments:

TACParent said...

Did you leave the biscuit? I can see why this monument touches your heart. Was Sweetie with you? I know she would like it (or it would freak her out).

Staying in Balance said...

We didn't leave the biscuit, nor did we take it. It just would have felt like stealing somehow! Sweetie was with us but we left her in the bug. As it was, she freaked out when a poor old lab was walked past.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku