Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lives of the Saints--A Spiritual Treasure

A couple of conversations, both in real life, and on the net, have made me think of the importance of reading the lives of the saints. As a kid, I was entranced by stories of St. Teresa of Lisieux, St. Rose of Lima, St. Zita, St. Margaret Mary, and others. They came off the pages of those books to tell me of a Church that seemed to have disappeared during my lifetime. These saints lived through both good times and bad, and turned to God in a heroic way, often at a young age. Their spiritual sacrifice and love for God was inspiring and showed me the real Church, that existed beyond the petty, conflicts that sadly occur when sinful humanity attempts to coexist.

A recent book I read (or rather, listened to) was Taylor Caldwell's "Dear and Glorious Physician" about St. Luke. I got it out on tape from my local library and listened to it in my car.

Try finding a story of a Saint's life to read this summer. To me, some of the most inspiring are Saint Therese of Lisieux , St. Rose of Lima, St. Gemma, St. Margaret Mary and St. Francis of Assisi.

6 comments:

Just Me said...

I'm not sure how I got to your site but I find it interesting. I'm about your age, love to read about the saints tho it's tough to get much info on some of the older ones...for example, Dymphna, could you find more than a blurb on her? She was introduced to me by Fr. John Hampsch. He's the man if you need someone who is both spiritual and knows his psychology. He helped me thu some tough stuff.

I read a great book recently about Padre Pio, St. Therese, and some others..if I can think of the name I'll send it to you. I was more about appartitions, etc... Very interesting.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, yeah. How could I forget Padre Pio! He's great! I think most of what I found on St. Dymphna has been on the internet, I think. But any patron saint of mental illness is a patron saint of mine! :)

Rachi said...

I had a book of saints when I was a child that had been given to my mum for her confirmation! I just had a few of the important saints, with a picture, and a little bit about them, written for children. I loved reading it, and still do- I lent it to my priest's wife, and she is loving it- the pictures are so gorgeous.

I recently read "Story of a Soul"- I really enjoyed it. Another one I read not long ago I can recommend is not about one saint, but has the stories of many- it's called "The Incorruptables" by Joan Cruz (I think that's right) and covers the miracle of the incorruption of saint's bodies.

I hadn't heard of St Dymphna until I came accross your blog, so I looked for a little information on the net- but I like that she is the patron saint of mental illness.

As someone with depression, I turn to Holy Prophet St Elijah as a patron saint also- it's his feast day friday :)

God Bless
love Rachel xoxo

Staying in Balance said...

Wow, Rachel, thanks so much for the info about Elijah! I didn't realize he was also a patron saint of mental illness.

I've seen info about incorruptibles on the internet, but I haven't read anything about it in book form.

Rachi said...

I'm not sure if Elijah is considered to be a patron saint of mental illness- I just consider him as mine! It helps to look at someone who was so depressed he just wanted to die- and yet God nurtured him through this, and allowed him to hear His Holy Voice!!

He is very special to me and has a special place in my journey

God Bless
love Rachel xoxo

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks for the info, Rachel! I'll have to definitely look into him!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku