Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Serpent


The Lion and the Cardinal has a really cool post on the serpent, which is the precursor of the brass instrument, the euphonium. The only reason I know anything about the serpent is from an in-class presentation dh did in college on the history of his major instrument, the euphonium.

Given the fact that I was the only non-music major in the class, my presentation, for those of you waiting on the edge of your seat, was on the voice, which, in my opinion, is the instrument we are each given by God.

For any of you who are the least bit interested (and I know there must be millions of you out there!) visit Douglas Yeo's serpent photo gallery. This guy actually plays serpents and is involved in all kinds of serpent organizations.

The above pic is from the Musical Instrument Museum in Brussles, Belgium. If I had known something as cool as a serpent chandelier was in Brussles while I was there last year, I certainly would have gone and seen it!

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku