Saturday, April 01, 2006

Wisdom from the Holy Father

I wanted to share a quote from Pope Benedict that I read today in Magnificat Magazine.

The editorial by Father Peter John Cameron, O.P. says,

"The Holy Father goes on to explain that we worship God 'by dropping the fiction of a realm in which we could face Him as independent business partners, whereas in truth we can only exist at all in Him and from Him.'"
We are not God's "business partners" and we are certainly not God's equals in any way. If we were, He would not be God at all. God is not a magic 8 ball for us to manipulate and control to suit our quest for knowledge alone; even knowledge of ourselves. We were created, as the Baltimore Catechism tells us,
to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in heaven.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I can't believe tomorrow is the one-year anniversary.

I was hoping you would visit a recent post on Pope John Paul on my blog, Part IV in my series. I would really like for you to leave your memories of John Paul there so that I can have a collection of other peoples' memories of him.

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/04/john-paul-lives-on-part-iv.html

God Bless

Staying in Balance said...

Sure! Thanks for letting me know.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku