Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Drink tea and pray!


I have a beautiful calendar called The Collectible Teapot. Each month has a picture of a teapot, some info about it, and other tea trivia, including a quote.

I thought this month's quote was especially fascinating.
The hot water is to remain upon it [the tea] no longer than whiles you can say the Miserere Psalm very liesurely.
~Sir Kenelm Digby 1669

The Miserere Psalm is Psalm 51 and is especially appropriate to the Lenten season.

Miserere mei Deus secundum magnam misericordiam tuam et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum dele iniquitatem meam
Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea et a peccato meo munda me
Quoniam iniquitatem meam ego cognosco et peccatum meum contra me est semper
Tibi soli peccavi et malum coram te feci ut iustificeris in sermonibus tuis et vincas cum iudicaris
Ecce enim in iniquitatibus conceptus sum et in peccatis concepit me mater mea
Ecce enim veritatem dilexisti incerta et occulta sapientiae tuae manifestasti mihi
Asparges me hysopo et mundabor lavabis me et super nivem dealbabor
Auditui meo dabis gaudium et laetitiam exultabunt ossa humiliata
Averte faciem tuam a peccatis meis et omnes iniquitates meas dele
Cor mundum crea in me Deus et spiritum rectum innova in visceribus meis
Ne proicias me a facie tua et spiritum sanctum tuum ne auferas a me
Redde mihi laetitiam salutaris tui et spiritu principali confirma me
Docebo iniquos vias tuas et impii ad te convertentur
Libera me de sanguinibus Deus Deus salutis meae exultabit lingua mea iustitiam tuam
Domine labia mea aperies et os meum adnuntiabit laudem tuam
Quoniam si voluisses sacrificium dedissem utique holocaustis non delectaberis
Sacrificium Deo spiritus contribulatus cor contritum et humiliatum Deus non spernet
Benigne fac Domine in bona voluntate tua Sion et aedificentur muri Hierusalem
Tunc acceptabis sacrificium iustitiae oblationes et holocausta tunc inponent super altare tuum vitulos


Have mercy on me God in your kindness
in your compassion blot out my offense
Oh, wash me through and through from my guilt
and cleanse me of my sin.

For my sin is always before me
Against You, You alone have I sinned
What is evil in your sight, I have done.
You are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn.
True, I was born guilty, a sinner, even as my mother conceived me.
Still, you insist on sincerity of heart; in my inmost being teach me wisdom.
Cleanse me with hyssop, that I may be pure; wash me, make me whiter than snow.
Let me hear sounds of joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Turn away your face from my sins; blot out all my guilt.

Create in me a clean heart, Oh God.
A steadfast spirit renew within me.
Drive me not away from Your presence,
nor take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore my joy in your salvation; sustain in me a willing spirit.
I will teach the wicked your ways, that sinners may return to you.
Rescue me from death, God, my saving God, that my tongue may praise your healing power.
Lord, open my lips; my mouth will proclaim your praise.
For you do not desire sacrifice; a burnt offering you would not accept.
My sacrifice, God, is a broken spirit; God, do not spurn a broken, humbled heart.
Make Zion prosper in your good pleasure; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with proper sacrifice, burnt offerings and holocausts; then bullocks will be offered on your altar.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to comment on that gorgeous teapot, I would love to own it and it's beautiful.
That psalm is very appropriate for Lent, so thank you for posting it both in latin and then in English,that way I know what i'm telling God lol.
Next time I make tea I will remember that!
God bless you x

Staying in Balance said...

Hi, Carmel! I know the Holy Father has asked us to learn Latin. I wonder if our tea will turn out to be quite strong because of our stumbling over the Latin words while reciting that psalm! :)

Charley said...

Dymphna,
Have you been to Civil-La-Tea in Gettysburg? It's a blast!

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Staying in Balance said...

Yes! My sister and I have been there. I really miss the other tea place that closed recently. I want to visit Aunt Pittypat's tea room too.

Unknown said...

lol I was thinking the same thing =)

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku