Monday, March 20, 2006

About those "Top 10 Catholic Hymns"

A recent poll by the National Association of Pastoral Musicians names these top 10 songs that "made a difference" in the lives of their members. The results are sad but unsurprising, given the fact that these are the folks who bring you "music impossible to sing to" every week at Mass.

(1) On Eagle's Wings
(2) Here I Am, Lord
(3) Be Not Afraid
(4) You Are Mine
(5) How Great Thou Art
(6) Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
(7) Amazing Grace
(8) All Are Welcome
(9) Prayer of St. Francis
(10) Ave Maria

Ok, I like 5, 6, 7 and 10, so its not all bad. But the fact that the others are in there at all, points to the sad state of liturgical music in the Catholic Church today. This music is best sung by a solo artists accompanying him/herself on guitar--not the most conducive to congregational singing.

On the other hand, Adoremus polled its readers and here's the list they came up with:

Adoremus ReadersÂ’ Top 10


1. Holy God We Praise Thy Name (AH* 461)
2. Ave Verum Corpus (chant AH 514)
3. Immaculate Mary (AH 532)
4. Come Holy Ghost (AH 443)
5. Hail Holy Queen, Enthroned Above (AH 530)
6. Jesus Christ Is Risen Today (AH 410)
7. Panis Angelicus (AH 523)
8. Salve Regina (AH 547)
9. Soul of My Savior (AH 522)
10. To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King (AH 480)

Now *these* are the top 10 Catholic hymns, ladies and gentlemen! These are songs that mean something! These are classics that have stood the test of time and are about something that is above and beyond ourselves. I wonder how many Catholics today even know most of these songs...

7 comments:

Matthew said...

I actually liked 2,3, & 5 on the original list. "Be Not Afraid" is one of my favorites.

Staying in Balance said...

We actually do "Be Not Afraid" occasionally. Given my mom's fragile state of mental health, I can't help but think its God's message to her and to all who suffer from mental illness.

Staying in Balance said...

And, How Great Thou Art is one of my very favorites!! It speaks of the awesomeness of God's creation.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've got to vote for Be Not Afraid, it has gotten me through many tough spots in my life. And wasn't it the Prayer of St. Francis that we sang in High School? Ok, it was a tough song to sing, but it holds a special place in my heart. I've got to admit that I know more on the 2nd list (as in, can sing them and remember them from church). I used to love to sing Hail Holdy Queen, Enthroned Above, but I can't remember much of it now. And, if they ain't in English, I can't sing 'em! Guess I'll always be a Folk Mass Music Junky at heart. LOL

Staying in Balance said...

Hey, Lifeisgreat! I knew you'd remember Prayer of St. Francis! Yeah, I'm not quite the dyed-in-the-wool musical traditionalist that I make myself out to be. I have to explain to dh sometimes that those of us raised during the 60's and later have a spiritual heritage of these songs (in the first list). I do think its a shame that many current Catholics aren't singing more in the second list, though.

Charley said...

I have to go for a combination of the two lists. I feel that both traditional and newer songs have a place in the liturgy. It is when songs are used poorly, or without thought that I'm bothered.
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Staying in Balance said...

Good point, Charlie. Its when songs are sung poorly, or used in the wrong context that it becomes troublesome. I think the problem in some parishes is the hymnal (or lack thereof). I've seen some parishes just use the misselet--so few hymn choices there! Our hymnal doesn't have a section for offeratory songs. It lumps them all under "Eucharist" which I think is incorrect. I try to avoid singing "bread and wine" type songs for communion and put them under offeratory if I use them at all.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku