Friday, December 30, 2005

Happy New Year!!



Well, tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Unlike most of my contemporaries who were busy watching Dick Clark on New Year's Rockin' Eve, I was always watching Guy Lombardo (see pic) due to my hopelessly "old fashioned" parents. For years, I just couldn't stomach rock and roll (and certainly nothing more contemporary than that) on New Year's Eve because Guy Lombardo just *was* New Years Eve. They just don't make music like they did in the 40's anymore.

My dh grew up pulling taffy on New Year's Eve. It was a tradition from his mom's family and did a good job at keeping 4 kids busy until midnight. I know where my sil lives, they buy black eyed peas and cook them for New Year's. Some years, they are so popular the stores run out of them.

I will confess to an early adolescent tradition I had for myself. I used to summarize my journal while listening to the top 40 count down on my toot-a-loop radio (see pic--mine was yellow). I guess its no wonder I became an English major and a blogger!

So, did any of you have any New Year's traditions growing up? Do you have any now?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the radio lol, that's cute. We havent had much traditions except for cooking and eating together, which is nice, I don't normally stay up until midnight but when I was younger my sister and I used to go to the street party and wait for the count down, I was a teen then so it was easier, now I just want to sleep. Tonight (it's new years eve here in australia) I am going to spend it with my friends and their families at a party. Happy new year to you!

Staying in Balance said...

Hope you have a great New Year's Eve, Carmel!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku