Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Liturgical things that get under my skin

I realize that some of this is probably not technically "liturgical abuse", but, nevertheless, gets under my skin.

Am I the only one who cringes when I see an altar server lighting the altar candles with one of those BBQ lighters? I really like the old fashioned candle lighter/snuffers. Is the Holy Mass not worth using one of these, or are we really just at a big communal meal? (Gee, I guess that's where the term Cafeteria Catholic comes from!)

Another thing I truly don't understand--why is it necessary for some parishes to announce the names of the readers, extraordinary ministers and altar servers before Mass? Are we voting on which one we like best?! Why not just put up a movie marquis with their names on it?

Also, why do some priests insist on having the congregation shake hands and introduce themselves before Mass when there is the sign of peace during Mass? I guess the GRIM is just not enough for some people...

1 comment:

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks for the reply! To me, its just inappropriate. I am not there to Oooo and Ahh over the reader or altar servers! I'm there to worship God!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku