Friday, July 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

1)  Please pray for my daughter-in-law, whose father has terminal cancer.  She is pregnant with her first child and is going to name the baby after him. It breaks my heart that she has to go through this at all, much less at such a young age and when she is becoming a mother.

Our Lady of Sorrows, watch over her.

2)  I've been struggling with feelings of depression and burn-out.  I'm going to be looking for a local NAMI group to join.  I wish there were a CHADD group nearby.

3)  Yesterday was the feast of St. Benedict.  I am especially attracted to his idea of stability.  Life isn't always smooth sailing, in spite of promises by some televangelists and advertisers.  Stability is one of the cornerstones of love. It is what makes us stick by someone through think and through thin.

4) I've been doing some preliminary research on ADD and it is amazing what I'm finding.  Factors that may contribute to causality include premature birth and maternal smoking, both of which apply to me (and my mother respectively) Along with distractability, ADD symptoms can include impulsivity (which, if involving food, can lead to weight gain) and slow processing.  So much is making sense.

5)  The pastor where I go to daily Mass often preaches on the importance of focusing  more on living out our Christian lives and less on the outward "trappings" of Christianity and Catholicism. This is hitting me where I live right now.  I think, if a person or group's focus is too much on outward signs of piety, it can lead to a kind of "shunning" (either overt or covert) of those perceived to be on the "outside" of the group.  We need to keep a close watch on ourselves if we find ourselves thinking that someone is not a "true" Catholic just because they don't happen to have a particular devotion that we favor.  I don't think approved devotions should be suppressed, but, in my opinion too much "official" focus on them can lead to marginalization of parishioners whose spirituality does not include those particular devotions.

6)  In spite of my support for getting rid of the HHS mandate (or putting in place a *real* conscience clause), I *am* in favor of universal health care in one form or another.  I think many Catholics are cutting off their noses to spite their faces when they tow the Republican Party line insisting that people without healthcare are lazy and evil.  We are morally obligated, as a society, I think, (and the bishops do too) to make sure everyone is cared for.  We need to stop the partisan politics and start caring for each other.  If we are innately suspicious of the Church's teachings on social justice, we are not in line with the Church.

7)  I really think that focus away from active love is what is killing our parishes and our faith. We need to not only set a good example of what Christians are, but we need to literally do what Jesus did--help, love and heal others.   We need to be counter-cultural, and right now kindness is the most counter-cultural thing we can do as Christians.

4 comments:

Annette said...

I don't think that Repubs believe that people without insurance are "lazy and evil." I think they believe that people should be less dependent on the government and more self-reliant or dependent on each other (i.e., we should help each other out versus the government giving us or forcing us to purchase insurance). Having said that, I believe in a more affordable health insurance for all, I love the concept of keeping my children on my insurance until they are 26, and I love the no pre-existing condition lock out and no life time cap. But I'm no Democrat and believe that both parties take stances to divide us (Repubs claiming to be pro-life, Dems claiming to be pro-social justice). I work in the medical field (not an MD) and I believe too much money is spent on futile treatment and not enough on preventative care. For instance, money spent on artificial reproductive technologies would be better spent on diagnosing and treating sexually transmitted diseases which are the leading cause of infertility. Annette

Staying in Balance said...

I'm no Democrat either! In fact, I'm a registered Republican and have heard at least twice that those without healthcare are lazy or have "made bad decisions".

It would be great if we could be less dependent on government, and I think in some ways we can be, but the way big corporations often work, if you don't have something like health insurance (or you don't have complete coverage) you have to beg and plead for care. Meanwhile, doctors are trying to deal with high costs themselves and tons of paperwork. I agree with you about the allocation of funds. We have a few "pet" causes where all the money goes to and meanwhile others go without much research.

Michele said...

i lost my dear brother to cancer in 2007. i know what it feels like to have a loved one with cancer. its wonderful that she wants to name the baby after him. that is a blessing. may God who is above all things, bless her, and her loved ones and i pray for a cure for him.

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks, Michele.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku