Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Art and Beauty Tuesday--Barry Maguire


In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd feature an Irish artist, Barry Maguire.  This painting is called "The Windy Connemara." Connemara Blackface Mountain Sheep are the most common sheep in Ireland.  Their long, course coat helps them withstand harsh weather. 

I love how the texture of the sheep's wool is picked up in the background grasses as the wind blows both as flat as it can.  I bet this painting is even more beautiful in person. 

I also noticed that the colors of this painting are the colors of the Irish flag.  

Hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

Thanks so much for showing this painting. I always learn so much about art from you.

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks! So glad you enjoy them!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku