Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Feast of St. John Cassian

Years ago, I read that Saint John Cassian could be said to be the patron saint of transcribers because he is shown in this icon transcribing scripture.  Since this is what I do for a living, I purchased the icon and it has been hanging in my icon corner ever since.

Today I have discovered that Saint John Cassian is a Leap Day Saint in the Orthodox Church.

You can read The Conferences of Saint John Cassian in their entirety online.  In it, he gives us a window into early Christian monasticism--even earlier than St. Benedict, who took St. John Cassian's work as an inspiration for his rule.

You can also read The 12 Books of St. John Cassian at osb.org.

2 comments:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

Thanks, Dymphna. I've bookmarked this for future reading.

Staying in Balance said...

You're welcome, Barbara!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku