Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Poetry Wednesday--Maya Angelou

Although I realize it is not winter, this is by far the best soup poem (and only good one, really) that I could find on the web, with its preponderance of children's poems about soup.

Hat tip goes out to Rosemary of Rosemary's blog for a fantastic post featuring this poem and a recipe for coconut red lentil soup.

The weather lately has been unseasonably cold and constantly rainy.  DH calls it "English weather".  It is also soup weather.

This Winter Day
by Maya Angelou


The kitchen is its readiness
white green and orange things
leak their blood selves in the soup.
Ritual sacrifice that snaps
an odor at my nose and starts
my tongue to march
slipping in the liquid of its drip.
The day, silver striped
in rain, is balked against
my window and the soup.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku