Thursday, August 27, 2009

Poem of the Week

I've decided to post a poem a week.  Initially, these will be taken from my haiku blog, Karumi Garden.  I have recently decided to post all my poetry, both haiku and my longer poems, on my poetry blog, Falling Plum Poetry, because that blog has a larger readership than Karumi Garden. 

The brevity of the haiku form forces the writer to condense description, bringing the reader into an intense world, communicated in few words. Traditional haiku, by definition, does not rhyme and uses no simile or metaphor.  Instead, it juxtaposes two seemingly different observations for a different take on each. 

The first haiku I'll publish for Poem of the Week was written on March 16, 2007.  Since there is currently a new baby bird in our wreath outside, I thought I'd publish this one here today. 


small and brown
in God's ecosystem
tiny bird

1 comment:

TACParent said...

Great idea! I wish I had more readers on my poetry blog. Heck, I wish I had more readers on my general blog too. But, I know I can count on you, friend!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku