Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What Women Wear

Yesterday, I attended my niece's college graduation. (Go, Rebecca!) It made me think, once again, of the issue of What Women Wear. They had a group of doctoral students who received awards. For whatever reason, this group was not robed. (Perhaps they graduate after the fall semester...) Anyway, one by one, these incredibly educated people stepped up on the stage to receive their awards. The men were all smartly dressed--mainly ties and some suits. Very appropriate. The women, however, looked like they were interrupted while lying out in the summer sun. One wore a tank top.

These women knew that they were a) going to a graduation ceremony where they would receive awards, and, b) that they would not be robed. What were they trying to communicate by their outward dress?

I notice a similar gender difference when I sing at weddings and funerals. Most of the men come in shirts and ties, if not suits. The women come in clothes that look like they've been housecleaning. Why the difference?

It could be that appropriate, affordable and modest clothing for women is not always easy to find. It takes some searching to find a store that sells clothes that will fit women who aren't built like anorexic Barbie dolls in the first place. Then, the task becomes finding clothing that is somewhat modest and affordable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also seen boys wear inappropiate clothes to Mass. One lad in particular wore 'Satan Rules' on his T-Shirt, I have to ask what were the parents thinking?!?

I have seen mothers coming to Church with skin tight leggings, which left little to the imagination.

I dunno but I find many treat Mass as more of a social occasion than a place of Worship.

Yours in Christ,

Marie

Staying in Balance said...

True. Our Lady at Soufanieh said she was going to "visit homes" more often because people don't use churches to pray.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku