- 8 C milk (I used fat free) (Pasteurized is ok but NOT ultra-pasteurized)
- 1/2 C plain yogurt with live cultures
- 1/2 C of powdered milk
- 4 T. honey
- Put 8 C milk in crockpot on low for 2.5 hours.
- Unplug crockpot. Let milk sit for 3 hours.
- Scoop 2 cups of the warm milk into a small bowl and add: the live active-culture yogurt, powdered milk, vanilla and honey.
- Wisk together and pour into crockpot. Stir.
- Put lid on crockpot and cover with a heavy bath towel to insulate. Let sit for 8 hours.
- Save 1/2 C for the next batch.
- Blend in fruit to taste.
I added the powdered milk, vanilla and honey instead of the fruit called for at the suggestion of a commenter who said the fruit (and maybe the fat free milk) made it harder to solidify. They suggested adding plain gelatin instead of the powdered milk, but I didn't have that on hand. Save 1/2 cup to use in starting the next batch.
The consistency is great and I like the flavor. Fruit can be added per serving. I had it this morning over frozen berries. My dh eats a lot of yogurt--so much that I can't keep enough in the house. Hopefully this will help!