Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Poetry Wednesday--Langston Hughes

A Dream Deferred


What happens to a dream deferred?


Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?


Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.


Or does it explode?

If you live long enough, you will experience a "dream deferred."  Langston Hughes was speaking of an entire people who were prevented from living the so-called American dream, but we all feel this pain sometimes in our lives.

2 comments:

newguy40 said...

Sure. I wanted to be Dan Daly or Lew Puller when I grew up. But, God had another vocation for me. The intimate knowledge that I am exactly where God wants me to be has been an enormous comfort to my "lost dream" :). And, the great desire and grace to live my ordinary life for God's will.

Staying in Balance said...

That is very comforting. God has a plan for our lives, even if we don't see it sometimes.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku