Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Poetry Wednesday--Zeynep Hatun


I am a fountain, You are my water.
I flow from You to You.

I am an eye, You are my light,
I look from You to You.

You are neither my right nor my left.
You are my foot and my arm as well.

I am a traveler, You are my road.
I go from You to You.

This beautiful poem was originally written in Turkish in the 15th century.  To me, it speaks of the inability of the speaker to exist without God.

The fountain and the eye are useless without water and light, both common images and symbols of divinity. 

The repetition and capitalization of You reinforces the primary importance of the Divine in the life of the poet.  

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku