Saturday, April 30, 2011

Scripture Saturday

I will turn my mind to a parable, with the harp I will solve my problem. ~Psalm 49
I came across this Scripture verse during Evening Prayer a couple of weeks ago and I really love it.  Since civilization's infancy, we have looked to art, poetry, literature and music to "solve (our) problems."  Part of the continued relevance of the Bible lies in the fact that it is Truth told in poetry and story.  


Jesus knew the effectiveness of getting one's point across in stories, and told countless parables to the people. 


The Psalms are ancient poetry which cries out to God, giving voice to our deepest longings, darkest sorrow and most transporting joy.  In all of these, God is central and is made a part of the writer's everyday life.  How could it be otherwise? 







No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku