Monday, April 18, 2011

Lenten Music Monday

For this start of Holy Week, today's Lenten meditation is from the Eastern Orthodox Church.  This is called Open to me the doors of Repentance.  For those of you who, like me, were not familiar with this prayer before now, here are the words, although the chant here is in English.

Glory to the Father and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit.


Open to me the doors of repentance, O Live-giver
For my spirit rises early to pray towards Thy Holy Temple
Bearing the temple of my body all defiled
But in Thy compassion
Purify me by the loving kindness of Thy mercy.

Now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen.

Lead me on the paths of salvation, O Mother of God
For I have profaned my soul with shameful sins
And have wasted my life in laziness
But by your intercessions
Deliver me from all impurity

Have Mercy on me Oh God
according to Thy great Mercy
and according They Loving Compassion
blot out my transgressions.

When I think of the many evil things I have done
Wretch that I am
I tremble at the fearful Day of Judgment
But trusting in Thy loving kindness
Like David I cry to Thee:
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku