Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Light a Candle for Candlemas

Photobucket

Today is the feast with many names. The Presentation of Christ in the Temple is also known as the Feast of the Purification of the Virgin, because traditionally, women went to the temple on the 8th day after birth of a son to be purified. In Eastern Orthodoxy, it is known as Hypatante which means "Meeting" in Greek.

Today's feast is also known as Candlemas because, traditionally, it is when the bees wax candles are blessed for use in the church year. Many parishes ask parishioners to bring in their own candles and have them blessed for use in the next year.

If you can't get to Mass today to have your candles blessed, or even if you can, light a few candles today and say a prayer in honor of Christ, His Mother, and of Candlemas.

My eyes have seen your salvation,
which you prepared 

in the sight of all the peoples:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and glory for your people Israel.



~From the Gospel for Candlemas; 
the Book of Luke

God bless you all!

4 comments:

TACParent said...

Every time I hear of Candlemas I think back to the year 2004. We were in Disney World and Eric was chosen as a "contestant" on their mock "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire Stage?" He lost at the last question and the answer was Candlemas. He couldn't believe I didn't know it, but I seriously had never heard of it. But I think I will light a candle tonight!!! Now that I know what it is about.

Staying in Balance said...

Well, when we were growing up, a lot of that stuff had been tossed aside like so much garbage. I didn't really learn about it until I was an adult.

I love the idea of having all the candles in your house blessed.

Sanchez said...

I found an interesting post on Candlemas, which presents it in light of various traditions: http://dstp.cba.pl/?p=3839

Staying in Balance said...

Interesting! I did not realize that Feb. 14th is 40 days after Jan. 6.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku