Monday, November 08, 2010

Book Review--Write it When I'm Gone by Thomas M. Defrank

Write It When I'm Gone: Remarkable Off-the-Record Conversations with Gerald R. FordWrite It When I'm Gone: Remarkable Off-the-Record Conversations with Gerald R. Ford by Thomas M. Defrank

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Write It When I'm Gone is a glimpse into the character of Gerald R. Ford by Thomas M. Defrank, who was first assigned to Ford when Defrank was a new twenty-something reporter and Ford was Nixon's Vice President. The relationship they maintained lasted until the end of Ford's long life. 

This story didn't contain any "smoking guns" or sensationalist revelations, especially compared to the instant news, conspiracy theorist mecca that is the internet these days. Instead, Defrank shows us, through his decades-long interaction with Jerry Ford the person that Ford's integrity was real.

Defrank says that Ford represents the end of an era in politics and while I'm sure that is true, I do think that Ford may have been exceptional even then, particularly given his immediate predecessor, Richard Nixon.

Gerald Ford has been a favorite of mine ever since he took office and I was happy and privileged to have found this book waiting for me (sadly) in the Dollar Store. 

View all my reviews

2 comments:

TACParent said...

This does sound like a book you would enjoy. When you referred to him as "Jerry" it seemed so odd to me. I've never thought of him as anything but Gerald. Perhaps the book showed a more personal side of him.

Staying in Balance said...

Yeah, apparently he was Gerald with a G and Jerry with a J. Go figure!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku