Thursday, October 07, 2010

Back to the Rosary

I keep coming back to the rosary.

As much as I try to travel down the road of prayer that is "off the top of my head", most of the time, I come back to the prayers of the Church--the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Scripture reading and the Jesus Prayer.

I have discovered fervent, short prayer to be especially affective.  The fewer words I say, when praying "on my own", the better the outcome usually is.  For other times, though, my own prayers tend to be obsessive and too inwardly focused.  I find I do not benefit from setting aside time to worry as a spiritual practice.  The worries come.  God knows they are there.

Praying is necessary, however.  Praying is helpful.  Prayer is communion with God.  The rosary and other similar prayers are especially helpful when no words of my own will suffice, which, for me, is most of the time.

I also find pre-formulated prayer to be helpful in reining in spiritual pride. If I meditate on the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary, I am focusing on Jesus' sacrifice and not on my own mind. 

Today is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary and October's devotion. 

Try praying this prayer with the Church this month

5 comments:

Michele said...

i enrolled a few years back in the Living Rosary Association. i love the Holy Rosary.

LC said...

I agree with you whole heartedly! Sometimes when I use my own words I find myself trying to "direct" God to what I want in or for a particular situation. Instead I need to focus on what God wants because after all He alone knows what is the best outcome.
How could I possibly think my prayers could change the will of God. Why would I want to change God's will? How it all ties together is something of a mystery to me. God wants us to pray and interceed but He already knows the outcome. I truly believe that "prayer changes things" but God already knows the outcome even before we pray.
Somethings in life are a mystery this is one of them, at least for me.
So I like praying the prayers of the Church because it takes "me" out of it.

Staying in Balance said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds spontaneous prayer to be less than fruitful.

The rosary is a great spiritual gift.

TACParent said...

I am happy you have found a way to pray when the words are difficult to come up with or just don't seem "right." The intention is fully heard by God.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, I totally agree. God is always "there" and "tuned in". I think there is so much more to formulaic prayer than there seems to be at first glance.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku