Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How to Pray

Do you sometimes have difficulty with consistency in morning prayer?  Beginning to Pray, by Metropolitan Anthony Bloom suggests that spontaneous prayer tends to come forth most easily when we are either in the depths of despair, and realize our own spiritual poverty, or on a spiritual mountain top and are praising God.

For those times in between, pre-written prayers are best.  One that he recommends is a prayer by Orthodox Saint Philaret of Moscow.  It is a beautifully appropriate morning prayer.

O Lord,
grant that I may 

meet the coming day 
in peace.

Help me in all things
to rely upon 

Thy Holy Will.
In every hour 

of the day,
reveal Thy will to me.

Bless my dealings with all who 
surround me.

Teach me to treat all that comes to me
throughout the day with peace of soul,
and with the firm conviction that 

Thy will governs all.

In all my deeds and words,
guide my thoughts and feelings.

In unforeseen events, let me not forget
that all are sent by Thee.

Teach me to act firmly and wisely,
without embittering and embarrassing others.

Give me the strength to bear the fatigue
of the coming day with all that it shall bring.

Direct my will.

Teach me to pray.

Pray Thou Thyself in me.

~Amen.

Hat tip to Deacon Michael of Ancient Faith Radio.

2 comments:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

Some great and timely requests in this prayer. I love the Eastern ways of prayer. I hope the day will come soon when we will be united with the Orthodox. Pope Benedict will bring us closer. I hope he lives to be 100 and stays in good health.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, I hope so too, Barbara!!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku