Friday, August 27, 2010

St Monica

Today is the feast of St. Monica, the mother of St. Augustine.  She is known for her tireless prayer for her husband who was an abusive and ill-tempered  pagan and for her son, who had left the faith.

St. Monica is the patron of wives and mothers, abuse victims, alcoholics, victims of verbal abuse, widows, victims of adultery and unfaithfulness, and those in difficult marriages.

St. Monica is the saint to pray for a variety of painful situations.

St. Monica, pray for us!

3 comments:

TACParent said...

I think it is difficult to remember to pray for our tormentors. I remember many years ago when my dd had a cruel teacher. A friend reminded me that this teacher needed prayers. I agreed -- but if was difficult. Now I know I can ask St. Monica to intercede on my behalf. I find strength in that.

newguy40 said...

This is one of my favorite feast days.

I have been blessed with a wondeful mother and wife.

However, my wife and I have our own troublesome son. And, at times, I have been a bit of a pagan I am ashamed to say.

So, St Monica has been an inspiration and source of prayer for us.

Staying in Balance said...

St. Monica is wonderful. I hope God can listen to my own meager prayers for members of my own family who struggle with faith.

St. Monica also had an abusive mother-in-law, I discovered. Her mother-in-law, husband and son all converted through her prayers.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku