Friday, June 18, 2010

Scripture Saturday

For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 
Luke 9:23-24
In Christianity, we are called to let go.  To let go of our very selves and become one with God.  In the east, this process is called theosis, or growing in holiness.  Our job as Christians is not to have all our practices lined up like chess pieces, but to empty ourselves into the Heart of Christ and become like Him.

Whoever wishes to save his life, will not be able to empty himself and let go of the need to control his (and others') lives.  The only one who can control our lives, is God.  We are called to empty ourselves of the need to be the god of our own lives, and give control over to Our Lord.

If we are united with God, we are focusing on our own journey to holiness and therefore treat others as Jesus treated the marginalized in His society.  We are not judging but embracing in love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reflecting on this today as well. I find myself conflicted with doing what I'm called to do, versus what I want to do this weekend. Trying to let go. It's not easy sometimes.

Staying in Balance said...

It isn't. I pray you find rest.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku