Thursday, May 06, 2010

Novena to St. Dymphna

Today is 9 days before St. Dymphna's Feast day on May 15th.  I'm going to post a novena each day to her.

FIRST DAY

INTENTION: Holiness of Life

THOUGHT: Be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18

PRAYER OF PREPARATION

It is You, great and all-powerful God, whom we worship in paying veneration to Your saints. Our many sins and failings keep us ever conscious of our need for the help of the Blessed in heaven. Their earthly lives give us reason to hope more firmly, to imitate their example more closely, and to seek their aid more confidently in our present trials. We ask the favor of Your grace, most loving Father, in this novena of prayer in honor of St. Dymphna. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

NOVENA PRAYER TO ST. DYMPHNA

Dear St. Dymphna, I come to you daily during this novena to expose my wants and troubles. I firmly believe that your delicate charity will hear my plea for help.
You know the temporal and spiritual favors I need at this time. Look down graciously upon me and obtain these favors for me from God, the infinitely kind Giver of all good things.
O blessed St. Dymphna, I trust in your protection to be preserved from all bodily and spiritual perils. May I be just and prudent, patient and strong, gentle and kind. From you I await inspiration and encouragement to pursue my vocation, to give glory to my Creator, and to win eternal salvation.
Be mindful of me especially in the dangers and needs of the present hour. Assist me during life and at the hour of death, that it may be well with me for everlasting years. Amen.

PRAYER: Dear St. Dymphna, I can't really say I want the title, "Saint," before my name. It will be enough if I get a toehold in heaven.
Yet, almighty God calls me to holiness. This is His will for me, that I become a saint. I'm ashamed to admit that I've given this too little serious thought. I've been content with half-measures.
But thanks be to God, there is yet time. My Maker still preserves the breath of life within me. Every heartbeat is a sign that He still wishes I shall become holy.
Remind me, dear Saint, that holiness is an inside thing: my soul's progress in Christ-likeness. Remind me that holiness calls for teamwork; God wants me to work together with Him. Finally, may I remember always that holiness is positive: to focus more on doing good than on not-doing evil.
Pray for me that I may be numbered among the Lord's saints forever. Amen.

PRACTICE: With God's grace and St. Dymphna's aid, try to do well some routine tasks of your place in life, especially some you may find particularly distasteful.



Hat tip to Paul at Sober Catholic

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku