Thursday, May 13, 2010

Novena to St. Dymphna--day eight

EIGHTH DAY

INTENTION: The Grace of Gratitude

THOUGHT: Give thanks to Yahweh, for He is good. Psalm 118:1

PRAYER OF PREPARATION

It is You, great and all-powerful God, whom we worship in paying veneration to Your saints. Our many sins and failings keep us ever conscious of our need for the help of the Blessed in heaven. Their earthly lives give us reason to hope more firmly, to imitate their example more closely, and to seek their aid more confidently in our present trials. We ask the favor of Your grace, most loving Father, in this novena of prayer in honor of St. Dymphna. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

NOVENA PRAYER TO ST. DYMPHNA

Dear St. Dymphna, I come to you daily during this novena to expose my wants and troubles. I firmly believe that your delicate charity will hear my plea for help.
You know the temporal and spiritual favors I need at this time. Look down graciously upon me and obtain these favors for me from God, the infinitely kind Giver of all good things.
O blessed St. Dymphna, I trust in your protection to be preserved from all bodily and spiritual perils. May I be just and prudent, patient and strong, gentle and kind. From you I await inspiration and encouragement to pursue my vocation, to give glory to my Creator, and to win eternal salvation.
Be mindful of me especially in the dangers and needs of the present hour. Assist me during life and at the hour of death, that it may be well with me for everlasting years. Amen.

PRAYER: Dear St. Dymphna, I'm one of those who don't know how to say thanks to God. It's easy for me to recite my "gimme" prayers; but I am tongue-tied when the time comes to express my gratitude.
I take God's gifts for granted - when I should take them with gratitude! I hang on to the gifts and forget the giver. Yet gratitude should be a way of life for me. When will the remembrance of His goodness and mercy make my lips quick to praise?
Dear St. Dymphna, pray that I may remedy my lack of gratitude. Remind me to count my blessings. Let sincere appreciation be my special trait from this day forward.
Teach me to bless the Lord for the bitter and the sweet, for failure and success, for every material and spiritual good. Help me to make every day a time of glad and humble thanksgiving. May I rejoice in His gifts and use them for His glory. Amen.

PRACTICE: The word "Eucharist" means thanksgiving. It is always good to give thanks to the Lord, and to all those through whom He helps us.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku