Sunday, February 07, 2010

Lent 2010

This year, I'm giving up message boards and FaceBook for Lent.  Since Friday, dh and I are, *gasp* sharing a laptop and I've really noticed a big difference already.

I've also begun to notice that both message boards and FaceBook are big mood alterers for me (and not in a good way).    As someone recently pointed out to me, Facebook updates (and Twitter too) are really ways to create a persona and are not helpful in discovering the "real" self and certainly not the self that God wants me to be.

Centuries ago, food and drink were the main mood alterers for a society that had yet to develop technology much beyond the wheel.  Fasting is still a very worthy practice, and one mandated by the Church, but for some of us who have layered technology on top of food as ways to escape, technology has to go first.

I am still going to blog, especially about spiritual issues, and I'll still write poetry.  I will still check my e-mail, but less frequently.

As someone who has always been a proponent of less TV (back in the day when it was the dominant technology) I can't believe its taken me this long to come to this conclusion.

I hope to have a fruitful and God-focused Lent and I hope all my readers do as well!

3 comments:

TACParent said...

This is very interesting. It sounds like you've done some soul searching to come up with it. I think many people have lost the desire to pick up a phone and actually talk to another human being ... pausing for a response. The internet is a good way to reach many people at once for brief updates, but I feel something is lost. I do like live chatting. It's almost like a phone call. But not always. You'll have to let me know how this works for you. I'm sure you will learn a lot.

Paul said...

What a great idea! I may give up FB as well, except for our station page and our choir's page.

Staying in Balance said...

I'm really very grateful for Lent. It is SO necessary to step back and take stock of where your life is and what you can do or give up (or both) to become closer to the person God wants you to be.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku