Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why have you shortened their days, oh Lord?

Today's Office of Readings included Psalm 101 (102).  Given that this is the traditional month we remember the dead, this psalm was appropriate.  On a personal level, many of my friends and I have been hit with one after another untimely death that has left us wondering why. 

Psalm 101 (102)
He has brought down my strength in the midst of my journey;
he has shortened my days.
I will say, “My God, do not take me away half way through the days of my life.

Your years last from generation to generation:  in the beginning you founded the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands.

They will pass away but You will remain;
all will grow old, like clothing,
and like a cloak You will change them, and they will be changed.

“But You are always the same,
Your years will never run out."

This psalm asks the age old question, "Why have you brought them down in the midst of their journey?  Why have you taken them 'half way through the days of their lives?'"

I think the answer is "They will pass away, but You will remain. All will grow old, like clothing but you are always the same, your years will never run out."

All will pass away.  Today, tomorrow, or the next day. 

But God is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

2 comments:

Michele said...

hmm.. very thought provoking indeed.

Anne said...

God is the same-forever. Amen.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku