Last night I read the chapter on Pride. What I found was a very helpful and eye-opening explanation of the different types of pride. Pride, apparently, can take many forms, some of them quite counter intuitive.
The following explanations are taken directly from the book.
- Pride of Intellect is an attachment to our own jugements, opinions and thoughts.
- Pride of Superiority can make us want to control the lives of others.
- Pride of Ambition seeks positions of honor, recognition and praise for ourselves rather than for others and it shows up in the tiniest of ways.
- Pride of Sensitiveness is manifested in people who are super-sensitive, easily wounded and hurt. It may hide in self-pity.
- Pride of Timidity is related to pride of sensitiveness and comes from an unreasonable fear of others' opinions of us and whether others have respect for us or not.
- Pride of Scrupulosity has a tendency to fix itself and its attention on the wrong things. The things that really count go unattended.
- Pride of Vanity leads to perfectionism, legalism, complacency, hypocrisy and excessive talkativeness.