Friday, August 14, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



1.  I have a new laptop.  It's red.  I am still getting used to it.  Maybe one day I won't type on it like its a manual typewriter!

2.  It is finally seasonably hot and humid here.  Yuk.  I thought maybe we'd luck out and skip summer altogether.  But, I'm glad I'm not nearer to a city in this heat.

3.  My niece and her fiance have a wedding website.  My how things have changed. Its amazing what these kids do these days.  Insert other cliches that make it obvious how old I am here.

4.  I'm hoping my mom gets her new teeth today.  The lab was a week late in making them because she has an unusual bite.  My sister told her she will have movie star teeth.

5.  I'm loving my color coded Google calender.  This is one great application of technology. Each category can be a different color so I can tell at a glance what I have going on.  I can also enter something on a particular day, tell the calendar how often it will happen (weekly, biweekly, daily, etc.) and when it ends, and voila! Make it so, number one!

6.  A bat.  In my living room.  A no-longer-alive bat.  I don't know which of my animals to thank for its no-longer-alive status, but I'm glad we're all up on our shots!

7.  My sister and I saw Julie and Julia at the theater.  It was quite good.  The Julia Child portion of the film was quite well done--very retro--great clothes, pearls, cars...sigh!  The Julie Powell character, was, apparently, made a bit "nicer" than her real life counterpart, which was, frankly, fine with me.  It was a nice compliment to Julia Child's positive and passionate outlook on life.  Makes me want to run out and buy her cookbook.  My sister and I figure it will see quite a resurgence in sales soon. 

6 comments:

TACParent said...

1. Pretend the keys are fragile -- maybe then you won't have the urge to pound on them.
2. I am not enjoying the "hot and humid" either. When it rains it drops to 75 for a short 10 minutes. That is sooooo lovely. But it doesn't last.
3. How nice. Sure beats my "red book" of notes as all of you called it almost 23 years ago.
4. I hope your mom gets her new teeth too. And I hope she adjusts to wearing them easily.
5. Have fun with your new calendar program. I'd be lost without mine. I love colors.
6. Ewww... That is all.
7. I bet you and your sister are right on the money about the cookbook.

Staying in Balance said...

1. I'll to pretend the keys are made of eggs!
2. I always have hope when the humidity drops, but as you say, it doesn't last.
3. I'd forgotten about your red book!
4. I hope she adjusts easily too.
5. I love the colors! It saves reading time, lol!
6. Yeah. And I had to get it out of the house.
7. I think so. Maybe wearing pearls will come back as well.

Tami said...

I saw Julie and Julia last weekend and LOVED it. I hadn't heard the Julie Powell character was nicer in the movie--interesting tidbit.

And hey, who care how old you are when you're adapting to the latest technology and getting the most out of it?

I enjoyed your Quick Takes. Have a good weekend.

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks so much, Tami! I really appreciate you stopping by.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Why is your laptop red? That is a very unusual color. I don't believe I have ever seen a red laptop.

Staying in Balance said...

Well, Dell had quite a few color choices, including red. Purple was a close second for me.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku