Friday, August 07, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



August is progressing quickly. Here are today's quick takes.

1. I just learned today that the late Queen Mother, mother to the present Queen of England, was Scottish. I wonder if she had a Scottish accent. I rather doubt it. There is a biography coming out about her in which she will talk about Edward's abdication, the war, etc. Should be interesting.

2. I am amazed at the level of hubris of the current U.S. government. My Outrageous Watch posts are getting more frequent. It makes me sad. I can only trust in God to keep us safe.

3. I am not happy with the fact that I've inherited bad feet. It is difficult when I can barely wear socially acceptable shoes because they bother my bunions. Goodness, that makes me sound quite elderly!

4. I am also not very happy with the proliferation of orange in the fashion world. I went to a store the other day, and most everything was orange!! How many people can really wear bright orange anyway!? The only orange I'd wear would be in the direct context of a fall motif, or on an Oriole's shirt.

5. While we are on the subject of fashion, I'm at the point in life where I can't find anything I want to wear. Everything is either too casual, too revealing, dowdy, or doesn't fit right. Or, it's orange.

6. After reading the book I just reviewed, I wondered why it is that blue eyes, ("striking blue eyes," "peircing blue eyes," "clear blue eyes") are often used as a symbol for divinity, or other worldliness. I've seen it in movies as well. (I think it was "Jesus of Nazareth" in the '70's that particularly did this.) Even as a kid I wondered what it was about blond hair that had everyone in such an uproar. I guess its the rarity, as well as the brightness that does it.

7. Speaking of eyes, my aunt tells me that those with hazel eyes lose the brown portion as they age. My eyes are a mixture of brown and green-ish. I wonder if they will change color as I get older.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just don't start groaning, "Oh, oh, my sciatica is acting up, must be some weather blowing in" and you should be o.k.

I've heard some evolutionary explanation about the blond/blue thing, but my theory is that you always want what you don't have so since blond is less common there are more people wanting it. I was blonde once upon a time and my roommate was Korean American. She wanted my look and I wanted hers. My blonde daughter wants only black haired dolls.

Staying in Balance said...

Isn't that interesting! I always wanted to be blond and blue eyed as a kid. My dark hair but blue eyed sister and I always fought over who got the blond doll. (She usually won, lol!)

TACParent said...

LOL at twoways comment ... you were complaining about your back the same day as your feet (at least to me).

re: Your feet, there are some nice alternatives out there, but you may have to shop on-line or from catalogs. That works if you are pretty sure of your foot size.

re: Orange. My dd loves orange. It was the first color she could identify and say (not sure if she can spell it though -- even as a teen). It's also the dog's favorite color. Seriously.

re: Fashion. Go for comfort. Then use accessories (like scarves). You look nice in scarves.

re: Blonde hair and blue eyes. I grew up with them. Perhaps it was because I was surrounded by angels? I don't think you could even tell looking at my hair that it was blonde as a kid (and I haven't dyed it). But look at my blog picture. It's blonde all right.

re: Hazel eyes. My dh and ds have brown/blue eyes. One of them is brown in the middle and blue outside (I think dh) and one is the opposite. I wonder if theirs will change color too?

Michele said...

lol! i know what you mean about orange. unless its an actual orange that i can eat, well, orange is a tacky color when worn. definitely not my favorite:D soft peach however is one of the colors that i do like:D

Jennifer said...

Bunions don't make you old. My 15 yr old had one but it's gotten better since she changed shoes.

Staying in Balance said...

I like peach too, Marilena.

Well, Jennifer, I've gotten to the point where I can hardly were anything but Crocs. I definitely can't wear any heals. I'm glad your daughter's feet are doing better.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku