Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Simple Things


Why are the simple things the most difficult to do?  Over the years, during Lent especially, I have thought of trying to remember to say a quick grace before meals.  This has proven to be extremely difficult for me.  I have an easier time remembering to say a rosary on most days, than I do saying grace before meals.

Part of this might be that one can say a rosary almost anywhere at almost any time.  I tend to say the rosary while I drive long distances.  I sometimes say it before Mass, or before I go to sleep.  At times, like last night, I wake up and can't go back to sleep.  A rosary will quiet my mind and relax my soul enough to get the rest I need.

Saying grace before meals is not something I can remember to do in the middle of the night, or at Mass, or while driving--although I confess I've eaten my share of meals in the car! 

Saying grace is such a deceptively simple thing.  It used to be part of the fabric of many family's lives.  Something done almost without realizing it.  Now, food is more readily available, more quickly eaten--and more often--and regular grace before meals is rare.

Thus, I come to my regular resolution to include prayer before meals in my day.  I think, rather than say a prescribed prayer, I will use the time to connect with God, thank Him for the meal before me, and  offer up my concerns to Him.  Almost like a lay person's liturgy of the hours--prayer at regular times throughout the day. 

7 comments:

TACParent said...

Sounds wonderful. I have had several books of graces that I keep on my kitchen table. When we eat as a family, I say grace (or someone else might actually volunteer to read from the book). We used to take turns but then sometimes the kids, "didn't feeeeeel like it." The problem with us is that when we are away from the table (unfortunately a lot during the summer) Grace is forgotten. It's a wonderful practice though. Food is a gift.

Staying in Balance said...

My college room mate and I used to exchange different graces that we knew. It was really cool.

LC said...

When DH and I say grace we use the traditional "Catholic" grace but we also take a few moments to remember in prayer folks who have asked for our prayer or who we know need prayer. It really has increased my focus on the importance of remembering others as well as being thankful.

Staying in Balance said...

I'm noticing that too, LC. It is really reminding me to remember everyone I come across who needs prayer.

Anne said...

I enjoyed your thoughts on simplicity. I especially love the picture of the Monks in prayer! Looks like simplicity at its finest!

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks, Ann! I agree--monks and cloistered nuns are great examples of simplicity.

Elena LaVictoire said...

Good for you! Remember it takes something like 21 days to make a new action a habit! So hang in there!!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku