Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Whole Self

When we are quiet, not just for a few minutes but for an hour or several hours, we may become uneasily aware of the presence within us, of a disturbing stranger, the Self that is both "I" and someone else. The Self that is not entirely welcome in his own house because he is so different from the every day character that we have constructed.
~Thomas Merton
I came across this quote by Thomas Merton last night and thought it was apt. In the unquiet of the modern world, we rarely see our whole selves. We have a public self that we put forth to the world, especially the cyber world, and many times, we believe that image is the whole of our self.

But in the quiet moments, we realize there is more. We are not all we portray ourselves to be. Or, rather, we are more than what we portray ourselves to be. We are complex human beings, born of complex lives--not only our own, but our forebearers' as well.

In the quiet moments, we realize that, as St. Paul said, that, what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. (Romans 7:14)

The older we get, I think, the more we begin to see this "self that is both 'I' and someone else." Couple that with the realization that life in this world is finite, and you have the core issue of humanity.

4 comments:

TACParent said...

And when we are quiet we can listen and hear better. That is when our real self rings true. That is where our truth resides ... and you are right, we spend our lives building up an outside shell that we try and convince ourselves is who we really are.

Joyful Catholic said...

I've noticed that not many people I know, even some closer friends, take time to just BE QUIET. SOLITUDE is really and oasis, to me, but to some, it's a fearful place, and to most in the world, the secular world, the fear of death is overwhelming, so they don't take one minute to be STILL. They don't want to hear that small voice, or they might have to 'change.' They might have to 'answer' and are afraid so they keep themselves busy, and in the "noise" to avoid Truth. It's sad. I am only grateful to be one who's never minded a quiet minute, hour or even days. Great post. Thanks.

Staying in Balance said...

I think its difficult to find quiet today. We are surrounded by so much outer and inner noise. It is hard to hear the still small voice.

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks, Colleen!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku