Sunday, June 21, 2009

Steampunk

I have become enamored of steampunk. According to Wikipedia, Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s which explains why I'm just hearing about this now.

Steampunk is a fantasy genre (books and computer games) where steam engine era design is mixed with modern technology. The result is something like this picture--a pc that might have been invented during the Victorian age. This would fit in perfectly with the local Gettysburg culture. I could see a reenactor using one of these in the outdoor cafe on Steinwehr. (Hey, it would look more authentic than the cell phones I've seen them use!)

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the design of these things. In The Steampunk Home, Sara searches for stempunk inspired items for use around her home that combine the scientific romanticism of the Victorians with our real present and imagined future.

I could definitely see steampunk appealing to someone like my husband who is very "how things work" oriented. I can't help but wonder if a more Victorian designed technology would take away some of the reticence some of us have in approaching something with a completely new functionality. It would allow us to appreciate the historicity and antiquity of things in our environment without sacrificing the technology we have become so dependent on. It is also a great way to refashion antiques into modern, usable things.

Drop by The Steam Punk Home for a world you never knew existed!

2 comments:

TACParent said...

Very interesting. It would be GREAT for the folks of Gettysburg.

Staying in Balance said...

What I don't know is, if anyone has made a working computer that looks like this, or if anyone sells one. I think it would look so neat in an older house!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku