Wednesday, June 17, 2009

All Saints Sisters of the Poor

I have long been fond of this convent situated at the end of a shaded road, past a state park, in Catonsville, MD. I went there on a day retreat many years ago and used to avail myself of the beautiful hand made cards they sell in their Scriptorium.

To the left is one of my favorite cards made by the sisters. I used to have it tucked behind my wall phone when I lived in Maryland. Its sentiments were a perfect reminder, sitting there, in the days before cell phones, prodding me to be patient and kind no matter who might be at the other end.

I just read today, that this convent of traditional Anglican sisters is entering the Catholic church. Needless to say I am rejoicing at this news.

Reading this has reminded me that I definitely want to return there the next time I am in the area.

I have always felt a great deal of peace there, tucked away next to Patapsco State park. I sincerely wish the sisters continued blessings in their ministry of hospitality and retreat from the world. It is more needed now than ever.

9 comments:

TACParent said...

I've been there before with my sister. It is a beautiful place.

Staying in Balance said...

It really is. You can feel the peace there.

LC said...

This is truly exciting news! It was one of my favorite quiet spots too!!

Staying in Balance said...

Isn't this wonderful! I want to investigate whether they have oblates or something similar.

Lynda Like to Write said...

Yes, the Sisters do have Oblates. They also have Asociates and a Fellowship which pray daily for the Community and their works. I have been blessed to be an Associate for over 20 years, and I can only say that you could not find a more devoted, faithful, prayerful and loving community than ASSP.

Staying in Balance said...

Thank you so much, Linda! I really need to go there again and visit!

Lynda Like to Write said...

I hope you do come see us Dymphna. I am so glad I found your site! It's wonderful!

The Convent has been going under major renovations with air conditioning in the Chapel, old lead pipes replaced, etc. and will not be able to take personal reservations probably until late in this year or maybe next year, but our retreat house on the grounds here, St. Gabriel's, is able to take a few people both women and men. I will be on the phone on Monday afternoons if you call the Convent - 410/747-4104 and can give you the Retreat House number (which I never seem to be able to remember.)

Keep The Faith! Orthodoxy since 33 AD!

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks so much for your contact info and reply, Linda! Thinking of the convent really brings back memories of my own spiritual journey. It is exciting to know that it will continue as part of the Universal Church. I'm happy that it is getting repaired and will definitely visit as soon as I can.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, also, I apologize for continuing to spell your name wrong!!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku