Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feast of The Chair of Saint Peter

In honor of today's feast of The Chair of Saint Peter, here is a video set to the music Tu es Petrus by Palestrina.

Tu es Petrus is Latin for "Thou art Peter", from the Bible: Thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my church. (Matthew 16:18)



The video is captioned in Latin and German. Here is the Latin with the English translation.

Tu es Petrus/You are Peter,
et super hanc petram/And upon this Rock
ædificabo/I will build
ecclesiam meam/My Church

et portæ inferi
/and the gates of hell
non prævalebunt adversus eam./shall not overcome it.
Et tibi dabo/And I will give you
claves/the keys
regni cælorum/of the kingdom of heaven.

et quodcumque ligaverdis/and whatsoever you bound
super ternam/on earth
erit ligatum/shall be bound
in cælis/in heaven
et quodcumque solveris/and whatsoever you loose
super teram/on earth
erit solutum/shall be loosed
in cælis/in heaven.
Et tibi dabo/And I will give you
claves/the keys
regni cælorum/of the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku