Saturday, September 20, 2008

He Must Increase While I Must Decrease

I've been thinking lately of the words of John the Baptist from John 3:30: "He must increase, but I must decrease." The idea of replacing, or supplanting one's will with the Heart and Mind of God is one that saints strive for. I think it is central to Christianity because to follow the self, the ego, leads not only to eternal destruction but to gross unhappiness in this life.

Letting go of the self is the path to finding God and letting God's will work in your life. The difficult part for me, is allowing God's will when I'm not fully aware of what it might be. For me, that is the real letting go--trusting in the Lord to guide me, even though I am not capable, sometimes, of hearing His voice or following His call.

God gives me many opportunities to let myself decrease while Jesus increases. I can consciously serve others. I can try to present myself modestly. I can work to the best of my ability.

It is truly freeing when Jesus takes first place in my life. It is no longer about "me". My needs and my feelings are no longer so important, that I must do anything in my power to serve them. I can have the trust that God, literally, will provide whatever it is that I, in my soul, think that I cannot live without. Happiness is no longer something that I feel the need to go around and take from other people. Happiness is something that truly rests in the Lord.l

Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee.
~Saint Augustine

4 comments:

the booklady said...

I love that picture of His face! Beautiful blog! God bless!

In Christ, booklady д Ω

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks!!! Thank you for stopping by!

Dan S. said...

This would probably be a good verse for me to meditate on while I continue to embrace and meditate on the spirit of poverty and obedience while I'm here in my religious community.

Thanks for the thoughtful post as always :-)

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks, Dan!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku