Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's So Great About Christianity

What's So Great About Christianity What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza

My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I am "reading" this book via CD (many CDs, as it turns out). It is a thorough refutation of atheist Richard Dawkins and his ilk.

A favorite point D'Souza makes so far is this: The very nature of "faith" *means* that we will doubt. If we *knew* with complete certainty, by all available empirical evidence that there was a God, then we would not *need* faith. In this, we share our doubt, our "not knowing" with agnostics, but, believers use faith to get us beyond where reason can go.
Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief." Mark 9:24
Believers and agnostics are climbing the same mountain, so to speak.

Agnostics reach a certain point, and say, "I don't know, therefore, I cannot go on." They put down their pack and give up.

Believers use faith to continue the climb to the top.






View all my reviews.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku