Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My Favorite Latin and English Hymns

Dymphna's Road has a nice, short music meme, which I've managed to make into an hours-long research project! It asks you to list your favorite Latin and English hymns. Where possible, I've included links to the actual song for those who are curious about some of the pieces. You may have to find the link once you get to the page.


Favorite Latin Hymns

Ave Maria--Gounod [I sing this one often, at weddings, and, once at a funeral.]

Adeste Fideles

Pange Lingua/Tantum Ergo

Gloria by John Rutter [This is worth listening to, IMO. Click on the link and then click on the second blue button--under "John Rutter--Gloria III." I sang this in my first year in college. What a privilege! It is sad that I learned more liturgical Latin in a public--very NON-Catholic--college than anywhere else.]

Ave Verum Corpus Sang this one in College as well.

Tu Es Petrus [Our college choir sang this song during the Mass that John Paul II had in the Mall in Washington in October of 1979.]

Hodie Christus Natus Est (You may have to scroll down to track 4--"Procession". It starts very softly.)


Favorite English Hymns

O Sacred Head Surrounded

Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

What Wondrous Love is This

Precious Lord [We sang this in college too. Beautiful.]

This Little Babe [I sang this in High School, believe it or not. Also a great privilege. For this one, you may have to scroll down to track 10.] (They don't have the entire song on there, but you'll get the idea. The whole CD is fantastic.)

If I had my hymnal at home, I'm sure I could go on and on. But I don't, so I'd better stop now!

4 comments:

xxxxxx said...

For English I like: "Firmly I Believe,"
"O Merciful Redeemer", "Of the Father's Love Begotten" (just offhand otherwise there is more)

Latin: "Adoro Te,O Panis Coelice" (I admit it...since I cannot sing I lip sync this with gusto! "Verbum Caro", "Adoro Te Devote", Mozart's Gloria, again there's more...

plus many on your list and I will investigate the rest. You are blessed that you can sing! I have many fantasies that once in Heaven I will possess an angelic voice...think Felicity Lott...and I will sing Exsultate Jubilate and Gabriel's part in The Creation...

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, I knew I'd forgotten some! I love "Of the Father's Love Begotten" and also "Hail Thee, Festival Day".

Paul said...

Good ones! The choral group I belonged to performed the Rutter Gloria, and I enjoyed that. We also did Ave Verum Corpus.

I also like the Samuel Barber Agnus Dei and the Durufle Requiem (In Paradisum gives me goose bumps).

Staying in Balance said...

I don't think I've done either of those. I'll have to look them up.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku