Sunday, May 06, 2007

First Communion


Beautiful First Holy Communion at Mass today. It always warms my heart when I see the kids dressed in beautiful, traditional First Communion outfits to receive their Lord for the first time. It's nice to see some of the traditions coming back.

On May 8, 1884, St. Therese, the Little Flower made her First Holy Communion. This is what she later said of that day:

At last the most wonderful day of my life arrived, and I can remember every tiny detail of those heavenly hours: my joyous waking up at dawn, the tender, reverent kisses of the mistresses and older girls, the room where we dressed -- filled with the white "snowflakes" in which one after another we were clothed -- and above all, our entry into chapel and the singing of the morning hymn: "O Altar of God, Where the Angels are Hovering." I knew that I was loved and said, "I love You, and I give myself to You forever."

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku