Sunday, April 22, 2007

TV Turnoff Week!!!

This week is TV turnoff week. Get rid of passive spoon-fed entertainment in your life this week. Walk. Write. Draw. Cook. Clean(!) Pray.

The little gadget pictured above is called TV B-Gone and is a handy remote that only turns OFF television sets!! This is quite useful when you are in a public place and are made to sit through annoying commercials, or anxiety inducing news programs. How about a little peace and quiet?!

Do we really need to be literally hooked up to media 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?! How about walking (or running, or whatever it is that you do) withOUT the music in your ear the whole time? Listen to nature. Talk to people you see. Talk to the animals that you see.

Put your phone on silent. Leave it home.

Maybe even turn off your computer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this gadget. It would come in handy especially in waiting rooms. I get upset when I have my kids with me and something inappropriate comes on the tv while we are "stuck" in the waiting room. Of course, it can be pretty bothersome when I'm in a waiting room "forced" to listen to Barney reruns!!!!

Staying in Balance said...

Very true! :)

Staying in Balance said...

Just wanted to add: Sometimes I think it would be easier on my mind to be stuck listening to Barney than the news!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku