As a follow up to my post about grieving, David (the author of the original) has another great article on How to Visit the Dying.
1. Drop everything and go.
2. Just be there.
3. Take the lowest seat--don't try to be the center of attention.
4. Don't take things personally. The last thing the family is concerned about is your feelings.
5. Don't speak.
6. Don't be afraid of your emotions.
7. Reach out and touch someone.
8. If you bring something, let it be practical.
9. If you have the privilege of being in the room when the person dies, realize you are experiencing one of the most profound moments ever.
10. Only read scripture, or pray if you are asked.